Burns Beach

burns beach perth western australia wa

Burns Beach is a fantastic, isolated beach, 34km north of Perth. The land at Burns Beach was originally owned by the Midland Railroad Company. In 1908, following a request from 50 local residents, the Wanneroo Road Board (which eventually became Wanneroo City Council) successfully applied for a 20-hectare (49-acre) reserve for camping and a health resort. By the 1920s, the area was well used by locals who knew the area as “Burns Beach” after a farmer who ran sheep in the area (according to Wikipedia).

Burns Beach

For many years Burns Beach was only accessible only by track or boat and functioned as a small coastal village, and tourism and fishing were the main occupations. After World War II it was connected by Wanneroo Road.

The mid 1990s saw all the housing estates being built near the beach.

Burns Beach has managed to maintain much of its original character even with its loss of isolation, and the original caravan park is still in operation. The Burns Beach Cafe is a great spot to enjoy bacon and eggs on toast and fresh coffee. Across the road from the cafe is a great park with children’s play equipment and bbq facilities.

burns beach wa

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

aussie on tour